2-Day Quest for Knowledge Trip Chicago
Day 1 You’ll See:
- Adler Planetarium
- Columbia College
- Tommy Gun’s Garage
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Chicago Botanic Garden
Day 2 You’ll See:
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Historic Water Tower
- Chinatown Chicago
- Chicago History Museum
- International Museum of Surgical Science
Here at Chicago Field Trips we have planned the ultimate field trip for your older students, a 2-Day quest for knowledge in the Windy City! You’re going to love this opportunity to get out and do some hands-on learning with your students, and they’re going to love the amount of fun and entertainment mixed in with all the education! On this trip your group will see some of the world’s best educational institutions, museums, and art collections all while taking in the iconic urban backdrop and city skyline of Chicago.
Enjoy seeing the stars and discovering unknown planets at Adler, take in all the horticultural information you can at the Botanic Garden, and enjoy eating lunch with the gangsters in the 1920’s themed dinner theater! The opportunities for learning are outstanding on this trip, from Columbia College tours to the Museum of Science and Industry, your group will even have the chance to visit the International Museum of Surgical Science! Get ready for a busy, fun, and extremely insightful 2 days in Chicago!
Museum of Science and Industry -Start your fun and information-filled 2-day quest for knowledge here at the Museum of Science and Industry, one of the largest science museums in the world. Explore the over 35,000 artifacts and 400,000 square feet of hands-on exhibits designed to spark scientific inquiry and learn all about storms, your body, robots, and many other interesting scientific topics.
- Omnimax Theater - This 5-story, domed Omnimax theater will allow your group to be immersed into the latest and greatest scientific films, documentaries, and short flicks!
- Brain Food Court - Fuel up on Brain Food for breakfast or brunch as you explore the many different dining options available here, sure to please even the pickiest eaters in your group!
Historic Water Tower - Welcome to one of Chicago’s most familiar and treasured landmarks in the entire city, the resplendent Historic Water Tower. What used to be the city’s primary water pump and municipal system is today a beautiful venue that showcases the work of local photographers and artists! Your group will enjoy the city history, local art, and magnificent stone architecture among a glass city here at the water tower!
- Visitor Center - The Water Tower Visitor Center holds a live theater space, additional artwork, and many exhibits on Chicago and it’s history, including the history of this building being the only survivor of the Great Chicago Fire!
- Athens and Oraibi - This is the current photography display, the exhibits and collections changing about every season!
Chinatown Chicago - Chinatown Chicago is one of the largest and most vibrant ethnic communities in North America and provides the perfect spot to gain valuable cultural information as well as some excellent and authentic cuisine for lunch! Explore the most popular sights, smells, and sounds here and catch a glimpse of Chinese customs, traditions, and rich culture along the way.
- Food - Herbs, spices, sesame oil, and Dim Sum are found on every corner here, and if the smells don’t invite you in the great prices (meant to be haggled) will!
- Landmarks - You won’t want to walk away without seeing some of the most popular sights within this district, such as the nine Dragon Wall, Chinatown Gate, or Confucius statue!
Chicago History Museum - Welcome to the Chicago History Museum, the premiere showcase space that cares for, highlights, and interprets millions of authentic pieces of Chicago and US history by illuminating the past, shedding light on the present, and providing information for the future! Have fun while exploring the thousands of exhibits, collections, and special programs and events happening daily!
- Walking Tours- While visiting the museum your group will have the opportunity to choose between many highly popular walking tours, including such neighborhoods as Old Town, the Gold Coast, and even Cemeteries!
- Dining - Your group may need a break for food while here, in which case you will love taking advantage of the North and Clark Cafe, full of fresh and delicious fares!
International Museum of Surgical Science - The last stop of the day will bring international aspects of science, history, and art to your group with exhibits from around the world that trace the fascinating story of surgery’s development through the ages. here you will see works of a challenging and innovative nature that relate to anatomy, death, disease, wellness, and other medical issues.
- Programs - Take a docent led tour or one of the museum’s interactive programs, such as the current Amputation Demonstration and Surgical Tool ID.
- Gift Shop - This gift shop is a really fun and interesting place to explore, known as a sort of ‘store for doctors’, selling books, tools, and surgical instruments!
Adler Planetarium - Get ready for another day full of fun and facts in the Windy City as you start out at America’s very first planetarium, the Adler Planetarium. This is the premiere spot to study astronomy and astrophysics in Chicago and offers daily programs, exhibits, special lectures, sky shows, and a telescope for guests to study the heavens themselves!
- Cafe Galileo’s - Cafe Galileo’s is the perfect spot to grab some delicious breakfast or brunch and prepare for your day ahead!
- Skywatch Live - Enjoy any of the several daily offered immersive sky shows, including Skywatch Live, Cosmic Wonder, Destination Solar System, or Undiscovered Worlds.
Museum of Science and Industry - The Museum of Science and Industry is one of the largest science museums in the world, home to over 35,000 artifacts and 400,000 square feet of hands-on exhibits designed to spark scientific inquiry and creativity. Your group will love the world-class programs, lectures, and exhibits that break down some of the most complicated scientific and technologic wonders of the modern world into fun science lessons.
- Omnimax Theater - Enjoy any of the latest and greatest scientific flicks on the big screen in this immersive, 5-story domed omnimax theater while visiting!
- U 505 Store - This gift shop is the only of it’s kind, offering special exhibits, souvenirs, books, and gifts pertaining to the German U Boat U 505!
Columbia College - Prepare for a visit to one of the largest and most diverse arts and media schools in the Midwest, Columbia College! Here you can explore the eclectic urban community of Chicago’s Arts and Education Corridor while getting information about some of the best Fine and Performing Arts, Literature and Sciences, and Business and Entertainment programs in the city!
- Campus Tour - Take a tour of this dynamic urban campus with an extremely active student community through a basic walking tour or choose the Cinema Arts, TV, Media, or Dance specific tours as well!
- Spirit Store - Grab all your essential Columbia College gear and gifts at the spirit store or grab some refreshments or snacks at the Campus Cafe!
Tommy Gun’s Garage - Eat lunch with Vinny in a Prohibition Era setting here at Tommy Gun’s Garage, the longest running audience interactive dinner show in Chicago and also the perfect place to get delicious food and an entertaining history lesson all at once! The Roaring 20’s never tasted so good!
- Food - Enjoy some of the most delicious old school classics, from lasagna and prime rib to pork chops and grilled salmon!
- Audience Interaction - Be prepared to participate in this exciting dinner show/history lesson, whether the performers ask you to dance and sing the Charleston to Cole Porter or come on stage for a sobriety test from the coppers!
Art Institute of Chicago - Your next stop is a spectacular place to have your very own Ferris Bueller moment, the 1 million square foot, 8 building, 300,000 item collection of art that is known as the Art Institute of Chicago! Here you will see one of the country’s largest art museums chock full of world renowned impressionist prints, ancient treasures from across the globe, and modern masterpieces by Dali, Picasso, and Matisse.
- Tours - Get the most information from your visit by opting for a professionally guided tour, lecture, or dining option, easy ways to get detailed information about galleries, works of art, or artists!
Chicago Botanic Garden - End your educational adventure through Chicago at the Chicago Botanic Garden, the natural paradise in an urban setting that holds over 2.4 million plants, 385 acres including 6 miles of lake shoreline, and rare themed gardens such as the renowned Japanese Bonsai garden or English Walled Garden.
- Garden View Cafe - Grab the freshest foods with the best views here at the Garden View Cafe, a delicious eatery with fantastic garden views!
- Garden Shop - At the Garden Shop your group can pick up the best gifts, toys, books, and tools such as pots, soil, and seeds to plant your own garden! You will even have the option of picking up a pre potted plant from the Botanic Garden.